Monday, July 1, 2013

July Daybook

    


 July Daybook                                                
                                                                FOR TODAY
                                                           Monday July 1, 2013

Outside my window...
Storms last night brought about cooler air this morning followed by more rain showers. So beautiful! It has been in the high 90's this whole month so this weather is a wonderful break from the heat.

I am thinking...
It's one of those lazy I don't want to get out of bed- but the rooster's crowing at 6Am so I gotta get up anyway- kind of mornings.

I am thankful...
I'm loving this rain because it means a bountiful blackberry harvest for us. We had several years where we got no rain and all of the blackberries burned up while still young on the vines. They were out of garden hose reach of they might have been saved.

In the kitchen...
I'm baking cinnamon sweet rolls for breakfast. Yum!

I am wearing...
Pink gardening pants and gardening shoes with a muscle backed t-shirt, my hair in a bun. Librarian Sexy.

I am creating...
A Garden paradise.

I am going...
To town tomorrow to buy groceries.

I am wondering...
When will the lightning stop?
Lightning at night gives way to terrible dreams. Sometimes I don't even like going to bed knowing that there is storms coming because it is too hard to try and sleep. Our dog Basho is terrified of lightning and thunder and he would most likely bolt the door down if he wasn't in the same room with us during a storm. He starts panting and breathing heavy and first thing he does is look for me to hide. Even if it is on the bed. Even if I am hiding under the pillows. He will not stop until it stops raining or until I wake up and give him some benadryl to help him relax and go back to sleep. He wasn't at all like this until we adopted a boxer mix female and I think her bi-polar storm paranoia rubbed off on him just a bit. Okay a lot!

I am reading...
Follow the Shaman's call and Soul on Fire. Both are beautiful reads.

I am hoping...
I can stop the hunters this winter.
The forest is wide awake this morning. I can hear and see life flittering with every glance I take. It is a most humbling experience. It is only another couple of months until hunting season begins again so I need to up my game this winter. No more trespassing and no more hunting on this land.

I am going to chainsaw a path to the neighbor's drinking/hunting/stomping grounds and that way I can see hunters entering and leaving his vacant property. It is now only used to hunt and kill our deer that live on this property. They have no problem tearing down our fences and leaving dead carcasses all over this place. By the time the police get here they are long gone and know that they might never get caught. I may buy some deer stand cameras this year so I can catch them in the act. The deer never have a fighting chance to replenish themselves. This needs to stop.

I am looking forward to...
Making more soil for next year.
The compost bin is already fast at work.
I turned the pile and on the bottom of the bin there is already good soil forming with lots of healthy worms.

I am learning...
The cycles of nature by being here.
The baby hummingbirds and bees have arrived back from their long winter's sleep. There is so many of them this year I feel blessed. I am thinking of making some bee boxes for them but not sure if I want to start another project in the garden right now.

Around the house...
Here we have a big problem with large red hornets. They look to be of the European variety. They kill and eat our honey bees and sometimes even carpenter bees. I can't help but wonder if they don't play some small intricate part in the help of colony collapse because they are a dangerous nuisance around here. I have seen their attacks and I have witnessed them eating the other bees.

A couple of years ago the main terror stung me on my head as I tried to run from it and it left a whelp on my head the size of a large egg that was painful and sore for a whole week I kid you not! So I can see how that lethal sting could instantly kill an innocent little honey bee since they are about ten times the size of a small bee.

I am pondering...
Life is moving so fast. Every day I wake up and notice this more. Has it always moved this fast? When I was younger I never paid it any attention and now I can't stop thinking about growing old. Who will care for my daughter when I am gone? Who will love her the way I do?

During our cooking session of making pretzels and sweet rolls the other day she said to me like a shot off the hip for any tween girl to muster "Mama I don't know what I will do when you are gone." So I said back to her "You will keep doing what we are doing now and when you make a pretzel you can say "This one's for you mom and just keep doing what we are doing and live your life and find some happiness in every day." We held each other for a minute as both of our eyes teared up.

 A favorite quote for today...
We spend 25% of our child's life preparing them for the other 75% when we won't be around anymore.

One of my favorite things...
Spending time with my daughter. Teaching her about life. Teaching her how to cook and how to be a woman. Growing up without my dad I didn't have the opportunity to have any of these heart warming moments with him or my mom. She always worked to keep food on our table and sometimes worked two or three other jobs while caring for my elderly grandmother. I tell you I don't know how she managed to do it all by herself.
She would come home from work so tired and give out that she would go straight to bed sometimes without even eating.

Growing up she had to work on her parent's farm and it was like playing the lottery. Most times they invested in seed but never got to see much of a return on their investment. I baled on the farm life when I was young and chose the city. Funny how that now- some years later- here I am loving it up in the country again now with my own urban homestead and caring for my elderly mother in the same way my mother did for her mother. Sometimes circles remain unbroken for a reason.

A few plans for the rest of the week:
Getting that patio furniture set!

A peek into my day...



Linked to The Simple Woman's Daybook - July Edition



No comments:

Post a Comment