Saturday, June 29, 2013

Garden Entry June 26, 2013


Things around here are very busy now.

By the end of the season things should fall back into a slower pace.

We have a few new chickens. Planted a lot of stuff we lost during the well pump disaster where we lost the entire season’s first crops of veggies.

No point crying over spilled greens. Just have to pick ourselves back up and replant everything. I bought a couple of year’s worth of seeds so I don’t mind using more than I had originally allotted myself where planting is concerned.

We bought a couple of new hens over the weekend to add to our flock. Our main egg layer passed away suddenly a few days ago so our flock has really been suffering.

One of my main 2013 goals has been to live a greener life.

That goes all the way down to the animals living greener lives as well.

One of my dreams is to be an Urban Homesteader.

Growing my own foods and having animals that are happy living here with us suits me just fine.

Some of the ways I went more green this year are:
1.) Closely reading the labels of common brands of breakfast and nutrition bars that my daughter likes and comparing them to better quality ones that are more filling and less sugary sweet.
2.) More composting of veggies, grass cuttings, leaves, and coffee grounds.
3.) Learning the hard way about using Gluten free products. When I eat processed foods such as snack cakes in a hurry I break out into an instant rash on my hands and palms that I never noticed before.
4.) Hypoallergenic beauty care products.
5.) More natural dog and pet care products and adding more real meat to their diet with wheat grass juice and greens in it.
6.) Got rid of chemical cleansers and switched to more natural ways of cleaning. Better for the environment and safer on my hands.
7.) Converting to all organic products in the yard and garden.
8.) Added more fresh greens in our diets and on the days we do consume small amounts of meat we also have sides of greens and green smoothies.
9.) Almond Milk and other nut milks replaced most store bought brands of milk.
10.) Using container gardens have been a real asset during planting season.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment